It really has been quite some time since my last post which I apologies for! Unfortunately I had a bout of illness just after Christmas which stopped my gardening for several weeks! Currently I am waiting for hip surgery and actually went down with Sciatica and Kidney Stones at the end of December stopping all physical activities and giving me seven weeks off work! I am now happy to say that I'm pretty much back to normal despite the hip which will obviously be a problem until fixed!
So what's happening in my garden?
Well nothing up until last weekend when I started my latest project of a new wildlife pond! with the mild weather that we have experienced recently and following my long forced absence from the garden, now seemed like the perfect time to get stuck into another project again!
The site for the pond is right at the bottom of the garden in a corner of the wildlife area (makes sense doesn't it!!) To give you a better understanding here are a couple of pictures to show you the site for the pond....
Now in usual Higgy style as much of the pond construction as possible will be completed using recycled materials and done as cheaply as I can. The site is not really the ideal place for a pond as there are a couple of large trees and a Hawthorn hedge here! Whilst planning the pond I realised that roots were going to be a major factor and therefore just using a liner with no protection was out of the question so I set about thinking of a solution to this problem. Whilst out and about I visited a house with an old metal bath in he back garden that was awaiting a trip to the local tip! Seeing an opportunity and a solution to securing the bottom of the pond I asked the occupants if I could dispose of it for them. Not being able to fit it into their car they were more than happy for me to take it away free of charge! I now had to think about the liner to sit inside the bath and the rest of the pond, a quick rummage through my workshop produced the old liner I had used to make a temporary holding tank for my Koi when we moved house a couple of years ago (never throw anything away as you never know when it might come in handy again is always my motto!). So for the grand price of zero£ I now had all I needed to make my pond water tight!!!
Whilst excavating the pond it quickly became apparent that the root problem was actually much worse than originally anticipated. In fact the problem was so bad that I had to abandon my plans to completely bury the bath and settle for part burying it and then making up the difference when landscaping the area around the pond.
As normal here is the project in pictures to give you a better idea of what I'm actually trying to achieve....